weddings abroad with marry abroad

sea in mexico

How to Get Married in Mexico

Mexico is a popular destination wedding location for North Americans, but more Europeans are realising that it's possible to get married here and combine a beautiful wedding and honeymoon. Crystal blue seas and white sand beaches are compulsory! 
Below are the legalities for marrying in Mexico, to help you plan your ideal wedding abroad.

Message us


Mexico Marriage Law Requirements

What are the legal requirements to get married in Mexico?
Legal age for marriage is 18 years for both men and women. If men are 16 or 17 years old, or women are between 14 and 18 years old then parental consent is required. Bride and Groom may not be related by blood, marriage or adoption.
There must be at least 4 witnesses at the wedding and they must all have valid identification, e.g. passport.


How long do I have to be resident in Mexico before I can get married?
You must be resident for three days before the wedding.


Getting a marriage licence
You must take the papers mentioned below. They must be translated into Spanish, notarised by your local Mexican Consulate and notarised at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London. See the legalisation page on the FCO website.
You must obtain a marriage application form from the local registry office in Mexico and declare if you are to marry under joint or separate property ownership.
Once you are married you should have your marriage certificate legalised to make sure it is valid in the UK.


What legal papers do I need to take with me?
Original birth certificates certified and translated by an approved translator.
Tourist visa from entry into Mexico.
Chest x-rays obtained in Mexico (not in all states).
Results from a blood test done in Mexico.
If you have been divorced then the final divorce papers must be shown.
Please note: many Mexican States only allow re-marriage a year after your divorce.
If you are widowed then the death certificate of your previous spouse and your former marriage certificate must be shown.
If your name has been changed by deed poll then legal proof must be shown, stamped and dated by a solicitor (including if you are divorced and have reverted to your maiden name).


Please note: this information is for guidance purposes only and liable to change without notice. Please check with your wedding planner in resort or the relevant embassy of the country in which you intend to marry for up to date details before you marry.


Mexico Registry Offices


Civil Registry Oficialía No. 1 Centro
5 de Mayo s/n, Centro
39300 Acapulco de Juarez
Gro., Mexico
Tel: +52 744 482 2569
Mon - Fri 9am - 3pm

Cabo San Lucas

Registro Civil Oficialia 02 Cabo San Lucas
23410 Calle Constituyentes
Lomas del Faro
Cabo San Lucas, BCS
Tel: +52 624 143 3607


Oficina del Registro Civil
Margaritas 31, SM 22.
77500 Cancun, QR
Tel: +52 998 884 8602
Mon - Fri 8.30am - 2.30pm, and 3.30-8.30pm


Culiacan River 82017
Tel: +52 669 9155 100 ext 7540
Mon - Fri 8am - 3pm

Playa del Carmen

Registro Civil Playa Del Carmen
77712 Playa del Carmen
Quintana Roo
Tel: +52 984 877 3050
Mon - Fri 8.30am- 2pm, Sat 9-11.30am


Mexico Average Weather

weather chart for mexico