Austria may not be the first place you think of for a “traditional” wedding abroad, but it's has such stunning countryside that you'd be remiss not to consider it! We recently visited the lakes and mountains area around Salzburg, the “Salzkammergut” and would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a beautiful location to get married.
Why should you have a destination wedding in Austria?
1. It's beautiful! Need we say any more?! Austria is small and perfectly formed, and the region around Salzburg is famous for being where the film The Sound of Music was filmed. Even if you haven't seen the film, the mountains and lakes make incredible backdrops for your wedding abroad.
2. You can get married ANYWHERE. Yes that's true. Unlike in the UK, in Austria you can exchange vows anywhere you like. We saw some really jaw stopping locations – how about marrying in a cable car as you rise up the mountain? Or perhaps getting married on a boat in the the middle of a calm blue lake with a mountain behind you? Or perhaps a castle wedding is more your style? Or maybe a spa hotel with amazing food? In Austria anything is possible!
3. You can party all night. Yes, the Austrians know how to party, and there are no strict licensing laws so if you'd like to party until dawn (or even longer) then you can.
4. You can afford a castle wedding. In many countries couples have to hire the whole castle in order to get married there, but in Salzkammergut there's a traditional castle on a lake (actually in the lake as it has a boardwalk leading to it from the shore, which makes a great aisle!), and the registry office is in the castle. So you can exchange vows in the gorgeous registry room there, looking out over the lake, and then have your reception elsewhere if you so fancy. Obviously you can also hire a reception room in the castle itself as well, but this flexibility gives you much more choice.
5. It's simple to marry there. The legalities are straightforward, and, although you may need an interpreter, one can easily be provided by your wedding planner.
We travelled to Austria to visit SagJA.at
wedding planners. Owner Gabi Socher was one of the first wedding planners in Austria and has arranged over 450 weddings, so she knows exactly what she's doing!
See Austria Wedding Planners here.
See Austria Marriage Laws here.